Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Japanese Exchange Students

Today proved to be a very interesting day. From right after assembly, I have been helping out with the Japanese Exchange Students. There was some 80 Japanese girls from Josei High School (I think that is their school). It was a very busy day and the day started out with a presentation of a skit from the Hua Yi students. Then, the Japanese students had a song and then a dance. Only lower sec got to watch (except for the upper sec that snuck in to see their performance).

After that, we led them to the Heritage Gallery and were encouraged to interact with them. I was sort of held back as I don`t know how to speak Japanese and just stood there watching. Then, when they went down for lunch, one of the Japanese teachers as me to sit down and interact with a group of students. There was a very quiet moment for a while------------, then I decided to do introductions of names. It was difficult to catch all of their names and actually remember them, but at least there was some interaction going on. Another thing, these students are really NOT camera-shy. I mean, almost every single one of them has a camera. After taking a few pictures, and going on for interaction time, I had to go up to present my CCA presentation and demonstration to them.

Though I could tell, when I was speaking, most of them didn`t really understand what I was saying. So I`ve decided before any exchange students come to Hua Yi, I better learn up a few phrases, SERIOUSLY!!! It was fun meeting them and all, and they later on went to the 3E and 4E classes. The group that went to our class taught us about origami, and later had us try to make a jumping frog origami. During the debrief in the AVA room, you can realize that half a day at Hua Yi goes by so quickly, and the Japanese students will be going back to Japan after today. It was nice having them in Hua Yi, and it overall improves Hua Yi`s relations with schools, not only nationally, but now internationally.

No comments: